Thursday, January 13, 2005

Survivors of Auschwitz

Two snippets from Stephen Moss' interviews with Auschwitz survivors in today's Guardian. Moss begins his piece on Leon Greenman thus:

" The first thing you notice about Leon Greenman's large but shabby terraced house in Ilford is that it has mesh shutters. He had them put up 10 years ago, soon after the National Front threw bricks through the windows. Two years ago, he received a Christmas card from the local fascists telling him he would make a lovely lampshade. Don't tell Greenman that nazism is a dry-as-dust historical phenomenon."

Barbara Stimler on retelling her story in London schools:

"When I speak to the children, I ask myself, 'Do they believe me?' Because sometimes I don't believe it myself."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home